Greening Our Town
Welcome to Greening Our Town, an environmental resources and programs page brought to you by the Town Climate and Environment Committee. Check out our latest events and other content to learn how our town — and you! — can make environmentally-friendly choices every day.
Want to help make our town a greener place to live? Email us at TOCCFriendsofHealthyClimate@gmail.com to learn about volunteering with our committee or to make a suggestion for future events and programs.
- Green Town Series: How to Manage Your Lawn Organically -- April 12, 2022
- Green Town Series Zoom Webinar: Montgomery County Climate Update -- March 31, 2022
- Green Town Series Zoom Webinar: MD Climate Crisis and Environmental Justice Act -- February 3, 2022
- Montgomery County Climate Action Plan (CAP) -- January 21, 2021
- Climate Discussion with Congressman Jamie Raskin & Jessica Langerman – October 10, 2019
- Healthy Lawns Without Synthetic Chemical Pesticides (October 2021)
- Reduce Gas-Powered Leaf Blower Use (September 2021)
- What's the Buzz on Mosquitos? (May 2021)
- Healthy Lawns (April 2021)
- Attract Birds with Native Plants (February 2021)
- Cicadas! with Dr. Tolbert Feather, Town Arborist -- May 7, 2021
- Sustainable Landscapes 101: Local Solutions a Global Community with Edamarie Mattei -- April 15, 2021
- Yard Birds of Chevy Chase with Chris Wright -- March 25, 2021
- Healthy Lawns -- February 16, 2021
- Landscaping Noise Session & Workshop – September 28, 2019
- Quiet and Clean Landscapers
- EPA - Lawn & Garden Information
- Maryland Invasive Plants List
- An Interview with Experts: Are Backyard Mosquito Sprays Safe and Effective?
Lee Wick Dennison Sustainable Garden
Come visit the new Lee Wick Dennison Garden. The initial installation of the Lee Wick Dennison Sustainable Garden at the southern end of Zimmerman Park was completed in October 2019. The garden honors the bequest that Ms. Dennison gave to the Town for park beautification within Town.
The grand opening of the garden will take place during the Fall of 2020. In the meantime, we request that care be taken to protect the fragile plantings by staying on the path.
- Be Cool! (July 2021)
- Compost to Reduce Greenhouse Gases! (June 2021)
- Recycling Made Easy (March 2021)
3R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) Task Force
Sorting and disposing of household waste appropriately can be confusing, even for recycling enthusiasts! In addition, China’s recent waste management changes have resulted in a <1% acceptance rate of and dramatic price decreases for US recycling materials. In response, the Town of Chevy Chase’s recycling contractor, Goode Companies, has changed its policies for acceptable recycled materials. We are therefore writing to provide you with a brief refresher course in how to dispose of your household waste.
And remember, the best way to minimize waste is to reduce purchases, particularly of single-use plastics such as disposable cups and cutlery, and reuse items whenever possible.
Bringing Climate Solutions Home Online Panel Discussion - April 30, 2020